Orientation week was just as boring as anticipated, sitting through some rather useless "training classes" in biohazard, chemical, and radiological safety. To be specific, the chemical safety training consisted of a PowerPoint explaining all the training classes that were available, each followed by the statement, "...but this is not that training." So, totally useless. The biohazard safety person didn't even show up, so we have a handout of her PowerPoint slides, which I will admit to having filed away unread. On a better note, there was an ice cream social with the older students on Monday night and our "retreat" on Saturday featured some awesome free food and alcoholic beverages.
The first week of classes went smoothly. I am taking Biochemistry, Endocrinology, Lab Techniques in Molecular Biology, and Scientific Communications, which is supposed to help us hone our presentation skills but is basically just a class for the first-year PULSe students to get to know each other (for example, we are scheduled to spend four class periods on personal introductions). I interviewed seven faculty members between orientation week and last week, and have submitted my top choices for lab rotations, which begin this Thursday. In the interest of not jinxing myself (scientific, I know) I'll post my choices once I know who I've been assigned to, at which point I'll elaborate on what I'll be doing, etc.
Work is going well for Dan, he's impressing everyone by catching on quickly and performing beyond expectations (is anyone who knows him surprised??). Not much else to report on that front, I'm afraid.
His family came to visit this weekend and bring us our new bedroom furniture!!! It was an awesome (albeit short) visit, the first time Steve has seen our new house!! We love having company. The bedroom furniture is absolutely beautiful,
we're all so pleased with it!! When we have the room all put back together I'll take a picture to post. In the meantime, here's Kai and his newest favorite thing to do: help me wash my face and brush my teeth in the morning, and then curl up in the wet sink and watch me finish getting ready for school.

1 comment:
He's so cute! Chip does the same thing, only he's not allowed on the countertops, so he sits on the toilet, watches me put my contacts in, then licks my face when I pick him up for our morning cuddle.
Glad school and work are going well for both of you!
Post a Comment