Yes, I realize that this statement will label me as a Midwesterner, something I've been fighting since the ripe old age of 6 when we left California. But I was raised on country music (and a wide variety of other music too) and I'm starting to get back into it. I think all the farm fields and friendly neighbors are starting to get to me after all. Anyway, I'm the type of person who likes songs for their lyrics more than the beat or melody, and so here's just a couple reasons I'm liking country:
______________________________________
I'm for the low man on the totem pole
And I'm for the underdog God bless his soul
And I'm for the guys still pulling third shift
And the single mom raisin' her kids.
I'm for the preachers who stay on their knees
And I'm for the sinner who finally believes
And I'm for the farmer with dirt on his hands
And the soldiers who fight for this land
And I'm for the Bible and I'm for the flag
And I'm for the working man, me and ol' Hag*
I'm just one of many Who can't get no respect
Politically uncorrect
~Gretchen Wilson
*Hag is Merle Haggard who sings the song with her.
_____________________________________________
And for the first time in a long time
She bowed her head to pray.
She said I'm sorry for the way I've been living my life.
I know I've got to change, so from now on tonight
Jesus take the wheel
Take it from my hands
Cause I can't do this on my own.
I'm letting go,
So give me one more chance,
Save me from this road I'm on.
Jesus take the wheel.
~Carrie Underwood
____________________________________________
This one's for the girls
Who've ever had a broken heart,
Who've wished upon a shooting star:
You're beautiful the way you are.
This one's for the girls
Who love without holding back,
Who dream with everything they have,
All around the world,
This one's for the girls.
~Martina McBride
Saturday, September 30, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I started getting into country when I moved to Mt. P and lost the best classic rock station ever, and my new favorite is a song called "Ladies Love Country Boys" or something to that effect. I'll try to post the lyrics when I find them - I laugh at how accurately parts of the song describe me!
Post a Comment