For those of you who haven't heard, Dan got the Math TA job we were hoping for, as this saves us thousands of dollars in tuition and gives us a second income at the same time. Yeay! Also, he did SO well at his screening (like an interview/audition combo for teaching) that they decided to have him lecture two algebra courses. Yes, you read that right: LECTURE. As in, no professor, it's the "Just Dan!" show ("Just Jack!" anyone? Anyone? Will & Grace? No? Too bad...). So he writes the lesson plans, writes and grades quizzes, etc. The tests are standard for all sections, so at least he doesn't have to do that. Yeay! Anyway, you'd think this would come with more pay than, say, a grading job, but it doesn't. Arg. It's showing Dan that maybe he really is cut out to be a professor after all though!
In addition to his TA, Dan is taking two undergrad engineering courses (with a lab), a graduate level math course, and a seminar. He pretty much has no life. If we take a few hours out to go to Bible study or go to dinner with friends, he ends up turning in incomplete homework. There just aren't enough hours in a day. Dan has opted to forego sleeping and eating as a solution (literally, he gets maybe 5 hours of sleep a night and only eats one meal a day), which I hope will prove very temporary. If it remains like this, at least it's only for this term and hopefully by winter he will have an RA lined up (Research Assistantship, not an RA like in undergrad, just to clarify). There is one professor in particular who is pretty set on doing whatever it takes to find money for Dan to join his lab, which is great. They already have a potential thesis picked out even! But more on that later, in case it changes.
In my news, I have two classes this term which promise to kick my butt, but at least there are only two. Even though I just joined the lab a few months ago, I have a rotation student right now, which means essentially I have someone working under me. I am training her on how to do things in the lab, and hopefully she enjoys it enough to decide to maybe join the lab later this year. It's pretty intimidating to be training people when I'm still full of questions myself, but I'm catching on.
On the home front, my parents came out not too long ago and helped us tile the guest bathroom. It was great to get the punctured, stained linoleum out of there, and to learn a new skill! Koa and Kai love to lay on the cool tile now too. Attached is a picture of Kai helping me out. He took it upon himself to inspect every step of the project, including my tile-sponging.

5 comments:
Wow! Yeah for a new school year and newly tiled bathrooms! Both sound great, hard, and very rewarding. Good luck with classes. Please tell Dan that a few incomplete assignments now is worth it for giving yourself the self-care that you need to actually complete your program. We've learned quickly around here that grades are not the most important thing... it's really just being happy with what you're doing that will keep you going!
love and miss you lots!
Congrats to you and Dan on many levels: all your academic accomplishments plus your prowess as do-it-yourselfers! I hope the crazy schedule for Dan doesn't last forever, but I know you guys will manage. Take care!
Here's hoping Dan finds a way to survive this semester, and your marriage does as well! :-) I was fortunate to get a really low-maintenance TA/RA-ship; if I had to handle the kind of load Dan's got, Anna might leave me. Or kill me, one or the other. NEways, kudos to you for being the big cheese in your lab, and all your guys' work around the house! Maybe when Anna and I start hunting for a place to settle down, we'll get you guys to give us a webcam tutorial on how to do all this home repair stuff. :-P
We still think about you two, and hope everything continues to go swimmingly for you. Don't forget about us when you discover a cure for cancer and patent cold fusion. :-D
Hmm, that bathroom photo looks awfully familiar... ; )
And I do remember "Just Jack"... though I would choose "Just Dan" over him anytime!
Hi darling grand-daughter. You look great scrubbing the toilet. So glad your education is paying off. Really tho, it is great you do more than study, study, study. Life is so full of fun things. Kudos to Dan. So great to do all this while you are young. You may not realize it, but youth does help. (only grandparents can relate) Much Love, Grandma Mac
Post a Comment