I'm sorry for not having posted about this sooner, but better late than never:
Last week Francis Collins came to Purdue!!! For those of you who don't know who that is, he is famous for discovering the genes responsible for many diseases, such as cystic fibrosis and Huntington's disease, and is even more well-known as the director of the Human Genome Project. Some of you may remember that learning about that project is why I decided to pursue a career in science. Coupled with the fact that he is a strong proponent of the idea that science and Christianity don't contradict but rather compliment each other, this was a really big deal to me!
The head of my program, PULSe, arranged an informal meeting with him in the afternoon before his discussion that night. It was awesome! His afternoon talk was about his journey as a scientist to where he is today. There were maybe 20 of us there, and we all got to sit around and discuss with him and ask questions, it was great!! The topic of his evening lecture was the same as the book he just published: The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief. Afterwords, at his book signing, he took the time to talk a little to each person before he signed their book. It made the line a bit long but it was totally worth it. I was on cloud nine the rest of the week!!
Saturday, March 03, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
To sum up, congrats to Dan on the promotion! Happy birthday kitties! And Vicky, I want to hear all about the guest speaker! HUGS!
I love the birthday picture!!!
Post a Comment